The Coffee & Cocoa Route - private jeep tour with guide / driver
Coffee, cocoa and Cuba have many similarities. They are exciting and irresistible to many enthusiasts. They harmonize perfectly; coffee, chocolate and Cuba.
The Coffee & Cocoa Route takes you in a green loop through the East of Cuba, almost all protected areas around you on an isolated island full of rare indigenous and endemic species. With a jeep and a guide / driver from Ecotur you will follow the bay of Guantánamo. You will slide through the mountains of the Sierra Maestra, across the spectacular Farola pass, past coffee plantations and rivers, to the distant Baracoa. You start and end in Santiago de Cuba, that sizzling port city, heroic, historical, so musical, so rhythmic, so dansant, perhaps the most beautiful city in the entire country.
Coffee and cocoa flourish best around the equator. At an altitude of 500 to 1000 meters, where the heat is milder, the air is more humid and the breeding ground perfect. Also, an ideal climate for the adventurous Cuba traveler. In the mountains, at coffee and cocoa heights, the heat is shaded and nice and cool.
- Your trip, your way
- Booked and organised in Cuba
- Our local roots, we live in Cuba
- 24/7 support by our local hosts
- Recommended for
- Historie, Koffie en cacao, Natuur, Outdoors
- Departure time
- Begins and ends in Santiago de Cuba - Daily
- Privé tour
- English, French, German, Italian, Nederlands, Other languages on request, Spanish
- Activity level
- Light (walking and light hiking)
- Insider's tip
- • The BAIC BJ40, a 4x4 (2-Door) jeep, accommodates three participants and their luggage (2 bags [75cmH]). Recommended for up to three adults of average size as well as for a family with (one) child. • A professional driver, and your guide at the same time, will drive the air-conditioned jeep. • All vehicles are insured. • Think also of packing swimwear (and towel), sturdy footwear, cap, insect repellent and sunblock. • Triple rooms are not bookable on this tour. In the case of an uneven number of participants, twin and single rooms will be booked. • Local circumstances may cause a change of accommodation. Think of overbooking or temporary closure. In that case accommodation of the same standard will be booked. • The program can be subject to changes due to local conditions (weather, road, unforeseen closures for repairs, etc).
Day 1: Day 1. Santiago de Cuba – La Gran Piedra
At 6 pm Hotel Gran Piedra welcomes you with fruit and refreshing juices, followed by dinner and… a cup of coffee. The live music of La Caridad del Oriente provides the atmosphere. That stands for rhythm, that stands for soul. That stands for Santiago and its surrounding area.
Day 2: Day 2. La Gran Piedra - Haciënda Fraternidad – Guantánamo
The evening is yours.
Day 3: Day 3. Guantánamo - Baracoa
Day 4: Day 4. Baraco - Alexander von Humboldt National Park - Santiago de Cuba
Baracoa may seem like the end of the world, it is also the gateway to a paradise of rare beauty; Parque Alejandro de Humboldt.
Open your eyes to the most beautiful that Cuba has to offer in nature; vast, unspoiled, with an unprecedented number of endemic species that only endure here. This biosphere reserve is so unique that it was declared a UNESCO heritage site in 2001. In this heavenly nature we have set out two walking routes, the famous Balcón de Iberia trail and the relaxed version El Recreo, both wonderful and with a green guide. The difference between the two is mainly length and height. It’s your call.
Balcón de Iberia; over a 7-kilometer-long trail (approx. 4 miles) you will reach in about 5 hours and along the Río Santa María the highest point, Mount Iberia, 740 meters (2428 ft) above sea level. The rain-covered green forest includes fruit trees, coconut palms and exclusive tree species, including majagua, mahogany and cedar, many types of (medicinal) plants and the most colorful birds. The tocororo - Cuba's favorite bird - flies freely and cheerfully, but also the zunzún, carta cuba and ruiseñor cotorras. The waterfall at the origin of the Santa María river, 25 meters (82 ft) high, is a blessing from above.
El Recreo, the other hike, is 3 kilometers (approx. 2 miles) long. After a slightly rising road through an impressive pine forest (cubensis), you will cross the valley where the Río Taco flows, all in about 3 hours. Take a rest in the shade and take a natural shower under the El Majá waterfall.
After so many natural vitamins and a delicious lunch, the way back to Santiago de Cuba is waiting. It may be a long winding road; its beauty is unparalleled. Your destination is the most beautiful city in El Oriente, Santiago de Cuba. What else do you want?
Maybe you will fly home from here. If you are lucky there is still time for a further exploration of East Cuba. Questions? We advise you with Cuban pleasure.
Hasta Cuba siempre!
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch are included
Customise your trip
You can adapt this travel program to your personal wishes. You can add or remove destinations, you can extend or shorten the trip. Do you want to add activities or excursions? Do you want any other travel services? We are happy to help you.
The Coffee & Cocoa Route is composed in such a way that the tour seamlessly connects with a previous stay in Santiago de Cuba and an extension afterwards at Santiago’s beaches e.g. or at one of the stunning beaches in the province of Holguin.