The tavern of María, la Gorda
During the days of corsairs and pirates, a girl from Venezuela, according to some, or of Spain, according to others, came to this remote place. After the hostile nature denied her all forms of prosperity, the girl focused her eyes on the sea and realized the potential of the site on the banks of the Estrecho Yucatán, building a tavern dedicated to pleasure and excess. The current villa, a must see for diving lovers in Cuba, is located in front of calm and very transparent waters of unspoiled depths and extraordinary biodiversity.+ Read more
From the sea to your plate
Due to the hidden nature of the place and the fact that it is mainly designed for diving, there is not much service activity on the outskirts of the hotel. The International Diving Center María la Gorda has a snack bar and two restaurants (one of them only opens in high season). The interesting part of the restaurant offers is that most of the dishes based on fish and seafood will be fresh, as they come directly from the sea.
Because of its location, the International Diving Center María la Gorda is surrounded by an immense area of coastal vegetation. A dozen kilometers away is the village of La Bajada, through which you can continue your journey to Cabo de San Antonio through the Natural Reserve Península de Guanahacabibes, some seventy kilometers away. In the extreme west, the lighthouse Roncali is located . At the foot of the lighthouse, you will find the beach Las Tumbas, practically unspoiled and of admirable beauty.
- One of the best experiences to practice diving in Cuba.
- Located in one of the best protected natural reserves of the Island.
- Small, intimate and remoted, a perfect getaway.
Cuba Travel Network tip
Bring a underwater camera. Do not miss the opportunity to take photos of Cuba's best sea beds, even when snorkeling.
Rooms and rates
- Recommended for
- Diving, Fishing
Península de Guanahacabibes, Sandino, Pinar del Río, Pinar del Río, Cuba
Distance to airport: 230 KM
- Hotel chain
- Meal plan
- Breakfast, Full board, Half board
- Check in/out
Check in time: 4:00 PM
Check out time: 12:00 PM
Location of hotel María la Gorda
- 24 hour reception
- Car Rental
- Multilingual Staff
- Shop *
- Sports facilities
- Water sports facilities
- Wi-Fi in the lobby
* Some services require local payment
Want to go to Cuba?
Perfecto! We would love to help you. Please contact us for a quote:Get in touch with us
Why book with Cuba Travel Network
- We’re 30 Cuban professionals with international standards of service.
- Each year we help more than 50,000 travelers from over 150 countries.
- Largest network of trusted Cuba partners to get you where others can't.
- Tailor made experts – any itinerary is possible with any budget. We’ll most definitely meet your travel expectations.