Trinitopes - hiking tour
Trinitopes is a nice name for this outdoor activity. ‘Trini’ is short for Trinidad, and ‘Topes’ for Topes de Collantes which is the nearby mountain village in the eponymous nature park. Topes is pleasantly nestled in the Sierra del Escambray, at 800 meters above sea level.+ Read more
Participants will be picked up in a Russian truck (sometimes by 4x4 jeep) at the central Parque Céspedes in Trinidad, after which the short distance (18 km) to the nature park will be taken. Immediately you will feel the difference in temperature in the mountains, with an average of about 21 degrees Celsius and so much fresher than in Trinidad.
This mountain climate benefits in the coffee production and you will pass plantations during the walk. At the Casa del Café, you can judge for yourself whether they brew a delicious coffee here. The trek leaves from this coffeehouse towards Salto del Caburni (a waterfall). It is a fair trail considering that you will have to descend 3 kilometers, as well as climb 3 kilometers, and obviously the decline takes less effort.
You will pass the already mentioned coffee plantations and will get a picture of the rural life in this region and its fauna and lush flora. With fairly good physical condition, a pair of sturdy shoes and a bottle of drinking water, the hike is feasible and worthwhile. The waterfall has a height of 62 meter, splattering into natural pools where you can swim and cool off.
After walking back from the waterfall, your body, and especially your feet, can rest. Lunch will be served at a local restaurant, aptly named "Mi Retiro", meaning "My Retirement".
After this unpretentious Cuban lunch, you will be brought back to Trinidad.
Availability and Prices
- Departure/Starting Time
- Departure location
- Group excursion
- English, Spanish
- Transportation in a Russian truck (sometimes in a 4x4 jeep), from and to Parque Céspedes.
- Professional, multilingual guide.
- Program according to description.
- Coffee in La Casa del Café.
- Transfer between your hotel and Parque Céspedes (see also remarks).
- Other refreshments.
Not included in price
- In case of cancellation up to 48 hours before the departure time of the excursion, a penalty of 10% of the excursion fare will be charged.
- Regarding cancellations made between 48 and 24 hours before the departure time of the excursion, a penalty of 50% of the excursion fare will be applied.
- Cancellations reported within 24 hours before the departure time and No-Show (no presentation at departure time), a penalty of 100% of the excursion fare will be applied.
Remark: booking fees and credit card surcharges cannot be refunded in case of cancellation.
Pick-up schedule and Itinerary
Daily from 08.45am from October 1, 2017 to October 31, 2018
- The Russian truck leaves from Parque Céspedes (the park where e.g. Gran Hotel Iberostar is located) at the corner of street Antonio Guiteras (Mercedes) and Francisco Peterssen street (Callejón del Coco), close to the cinema (Romelio Cornelio) and the church (Iglesia San Francisco de Paula). Please be present before 08.45am.
- Pack a sweater or jacket as the temperature in the mountains will be cooler.
• Hiking boots are not really necessary; however sturdy footwear with grip (such as sneakers) is recommended, especially when one has to move over slippery river stones (pack a pair of dry shoes or flip-flops).
- It is advisable to put on swimwear under your shirt and shorts and to wear appropriate clothing for the trek.
- Temporary rainfall can affect the water of the natural pools, making it more turbid, as well as making the trail more slippery, but still doable.
- Good physical fitness is required to participate in the hiking portion of this excursion.
- Printed voucher, sent by Cuba Travel Network after having completed booking and payment procedure.
- t is recommended to carry a photocopy of your passport with you.
We are here to help
Hola! Whether you have a single question or a special request, we're here for you.Get in touch with us
Why book with Cuba Travel Network
- We’re 30 Cuban professionals with international standards of service.
- Each year we help more than 50,000 travelers from over 150 countries.
- Largest network of trusted Cuba partners to get you where others can't.
- Tailor made experts – any itinerary is possible with any budget. We’ll most definitely meet your travel expectations.