Private Tour to Cienfuegos, Trinidad and Santa Clara (overnight in homestay)
This exclusive tour - with your private driver/guide - brings out the best from Cuba.+ Read more
Three inspiring Cuban cities are listed on the two-day itinerary, packed with historical and cultural highlights. Over rural roads and occasionally the highway Cienfuegos, Trinidad and Santa Clara will be smoothly reached, meanwhile passing spectacular nature and serene country villages.
Stretch your legs during a feasible hike in the gorgeous nature park El Nicho, and increase the sociocultural factor spending the night at a Cuban home.
Want to stay one day longer in Trinidad? Please take a look at the excursion "Trinidad Total - Private Tour - 2 nights in homestay (including visits to Cienfuegos & Santa Clara )".
Read more below.
Availability and Prices
- Departure/Starting Time
- From 08 Nov 2017 Till 31 Oct 2018
Private Tour: 08:00 - Daily
- Departure location
- Private Excursion
- English, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish
There are two different car categories/versions:
- STANDARD: The BAIC BJ40 (4x4 Jeep - 2-Door) accommodates the driver/guide + three participants and their luggage (2 bags [75cmH]). Recommended for up to three adults of average size as well as for a family with (one) child.
- PREMIUM: You´ll travel in a Hyundai Tucson (SUV - 4-Door), seating (apart from the driver/guide) four participants and storing their luggage (2 large [75cmH]) + 1 small bag); ideal for a family with (two) children or four participants of average size.
Included in price
- Transportation per air-conditioned Jeep/SUV.
- Program (entrance fees) and mealplan according to description.
- Professional, multilingual driver/guide.
- Overnight in a Casa Particular (homestay) in a double or single room with private bathroom.
Not included in price
- Other consumptions and refreshments.
- Optional activities that are not described in the program.
- Expenditure of personal nature.
- In case of cancellation up to 48 hours before the departure time of the excursion, a penalty of 10% of the excursion fare will be charged.
- Regarding cancellations made between 48 and 24 hours before the departure time, a penalty of 50% of the excursion fare will be applied.
- Cancellations reported within 24 hours before the departure time and No-Show (no presentation at departure time), a penalty of 100% of the excursion fare will be applied.
*Remark: booking fees and credit card surcharges cannot be refunded in case of cancellation.
Pick-up schedule and Itinerary
Day 1: Cienfuegos – El Nicho – Trinidad
When leaving Havana, it seems as if you are driving back, in time though as you´re definitely riding forwards. The contrast between Cuba´s countryside and its cities (such as Havana) is not only striking, but also very interesting. The distance to Cienfuegos is approximately 243km (151miles), hitting first the expressway.
- The City of Cienfuegos (UNESCO World Heritage Site) is chic and is a feast for the eye of an architect. Founded by French emigrants from Bordeaux and Louisiana in 1819, Cienfuegos is unique compared to other colonial Cuban cities, previously founded by Spaniards. The beating heart of the city is Parque José Martí flanked by government buildings, a cathedral, art gallery and the Teatro Tomás Terry. Visit the eclectic Palacio del Valle (an architectural cocktail of Gothic, Moorish and neoclassical styles).
- Lunch at Club Cienfuegos - former yacht club and founded in 1920 - with still a strong maritime feel.
- The distance from Cienfuegos to Trinidad is about 95km (60miles) and is scheduled through the inland in order to get to El Nicho: a nature reserve with friendly waterfalls. ¨El Reino de las Aguas¨ is a gentle hiking trail of 2km (1.2mile), and whether or not to make the two-hour trek is completely up to you.
- And then there lies Trinidad, tranquilly between the feet of the Sierra Escambray mountain range and the azure-blue Caribbean Sea.
- After having settled in a Casa Particular (homestay), the evening will be at leisure. Look for suggestions below under ¨What to do at Trinidad at night¨.
(Mealplan: lunch is included)
As of November 1st, the program will slightly change. After arrival (and check in) in Trinidad, savor a cocktail at the iconic bar La Canchánchara. Next, dinner will be served in an old colonial house (private restaurant) on the corner of Plaza Mayor (live music).
(Mealplan as of November 1st; lunch, dinner are included)
Destination(s): Trinidad, Cienfuegos City
Day 2: Trinidad and surroundings – Santa Clara – Havana or Varadero
- Homemade breakfast on the patio, porch or in the kitchen of your Casa Particular.
- Heading by jeep (or SUV) to the nearby Valle de los Ingenios (Valley of the Sugar Mills). Trinidad owes its existence to the sugar industry flourishing from the late 18th century to the late 19th century. The Manaca Iznaga tower (1750), 44 meters (144ft) high, was built next to a hacienda, those days to control the slaves. Today, after climbing the stairs, it reveals the friendliest panoramas of a breathtaking environment. Trinidad and the Valley de los Ingenios are declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO (1988).
- Back to Trinidad, to bring a last toast to the town at the bar La Canchánchara, housed in a mansion dating from 1723, and named after a regional drink made from lemon juice, honey and rum, served in glazed ceramic pots.
- Lunch in a paladar (meaning palate), which is a private restaurant, before taking off northwards to Santa Clara.
- Each of the three cities of this program clearly features its proper time frame. Where Cienfuegos represents the late 19th / early 20th century, Trinidad goes a few centuries back in history. Santa Clara, however, is a modern university city that is inextricably linked to the late 50´s of the last century and to the triumph of the revolution. A visit to Che Guevara´s Memorial will clarify why.
- Your driver/guide will take you to your destination of your choice, which may be the celebrated beaches of Varadero, or the charismatic capital Havana.
As of November 1st, the program will slightly change. After having visited the Valle de los Ingenios (Sugar Mill Valley), you´´ll travel directly to Santa Clara instead of returning to Trinidad. (Lunch in Santa Clara).
(Mealplan: breakfast, lunch are included)
Destination(s): Trinidad, Santa Clara
What to do in Trinidad at night?
- Private restaurant Sol Ananda, a beautiful building, located at the Plaza Mayor, furnished in colonial style. Extensive menu with Cuban-fusion dishes.
Address: Ruben Martinez Villena (Calle Real) # 45 Esquina Simon Bolivar (Calle Desengaño).
- Private restaurant San Jose, Cuban and Italian cuisine. Popular restaurant, reservation strongly advised.
Address: Maceo (Gutierrez) # 382 entre Colon y Smith.
- Private restaurant La Redacción, recently opened in a colonial building (once the redaction of a newspaper). Possibility to dine at the patio. International cuisine, specialty seafood.
Address: Maceo (Gutierrez) # 463 entre Simon Bolivar (Desengaño) y Fco. Javier Zerquera (Rosario).
Music, Drinks and Dancing
- La Escalinata is Trinidad´s nightlife center. Every evening (at about 08.00 – 08.30 pm) a salsa band will play live music at the old stone city steps (near the church). Dance or sit on the stairs or on one of the terraces, and simply watch. A small entrance fee can be levied, depending on the kind of event. Afterwards, follow the stairs which will lead you to the Casa de la Musica.
- Casa de la Trova (entrance aprox. CUC 1) hosts salsa bands and troubadours, located at only 100 meters from the city stairs. On your way you will pass the Palenque de los Congos Reales, with mainly Afro-Cuban music.
- A professional driver, and your guide at the same time, will drive the jeep or SUV, all cars are insured.
- Children are very welcome on this tour, only child discount is not applicable, for which they have to be booked as adults. Children do count as an additional person sharing the vehicle, resulting in a similar discount. Infants (0-2 years) travel free, however car seats and cots are often not available.
- Triple rooms are not bookable on this tour. In the case of an uneven number of participants, twin and single rooms should be booked.
- Don’t forget to bring swimwear and a pair of sturdy shoes or sneakers for swimming and hiking.
- The program can be subject to changes due to local conditions (e.g. closure due to reparations, weather conditions, etc.).
- Che Guevara´s memorial and museum in Santa Clara are closed on Mondays. Therefore, this private tour has no departure scheduled on Sundays, in order not to affect one of the highlights of this program.
- In addition to the published drop-off places Havana or Varadero, you can optionally also end this jeep tour in Trinidad or in Santa Clara. Santa Clara is a perfect base to travel further on to e.g. Cayo Santa Maria. The driver/guide can help you to find a suitable taxi, which will drive you to this gorgeous beach area (distance aprox 113km).
- Valid and original (no copy) ID (passport).
- Printed voucher, sent by Cuba Travel Network after having completed booking and payment procedure.
We are here to help
Hola! Whether you have a single question or a special request, we're here for you.Get in touch with us
Why book with Cuba Travel Network
- We’re over 50 Cuban professionals with international standards of service.
- Each year we help more than 50,000 travelers from over 150 countries.
- Largest network of trusted Cuba partners to get you where others can't.
- Tailor made experts – any itinerary is possible with any budget. We’ll most definitely meet your travel expectations.