Private Jeep -Snorkeling Tour to Bay of Pigs
Private Jeep Tour - Snorkeling in the Bay of Pigs from Varadero
Varadero has almost everything a sun seeker (besides the sun) seeks; beautiful, endless beaches, palatial hotels, an inviting turquoise sea washing gentle over these beaches, a vibrant nightlife and numerous other activities.
But what if you´re into snorkeling?
We do admit that Varadero doesn´t feature the best snorkel environments of the entire island, but the Bay of Pigs certainly does, so make a sea-switch and head off to the Caribbean Sea.
When drawing a straight line on the map from Varadero to the south of Cuba, you will end up at the Bay, encircled by the wetland and nature-park Ciénaga de Zapata.
This private tour will take you first (before putting on your snorkel gear) along the agricultural countryside, interspersed with small provincial towns, illustrating the daily Cuban life. The two-hour ride should be considered as an additional informative part of the program and not merely seen as transportation.
Most people know the ‘Bay of Pigs’ (Bahía de Cochinos) from the US-backed covert operation that took place here on April 17, 1961. Today, the bay is a friendlier environment featuring ideal diving and snorkeling conditions directly from the coast, making transport by boat unnecessary. Its crystal-clear waters reveal surprising species of corals, sponges and schools of colorful tropical fish.
Not one, but two snorkel sites will be visited (we could not make a choice between the two, so we included both).
First stop is Cueva de los Peces (Fish Cave), between Playa Girón and Playa Larga. Here you´ll find a cenote – a geological formation created when the roof of an underground river collapses, leaving a natural pool connected to the sea by a system of immersed tunnels, and packed with an impressive variety of tropical fish.
The second snorkel stop is called Punta Perdiz; also with easy access to the sea through a small beach and a pier. A simple lunch (some culinary-stars less than Varadero restaurants offer) will be served here in the local restaurant on the beach.
If you´ve seen it under water after a while, a cute beach is awaiting you to chill out.
The arrival time in Varadero is rather flexible, which may be at 17.30 or 18.00hrs (05.30 or 06.00pm), or a little later, let´s say before dinner.
Availability and Prices
- Departure/Starting Time
- Private Tour: 8:00am - Daily
- Departure location
- Selected Hotels in Varadero
- Private Excursion
- English, French, German, Italian, Portugese, Russian, Spanish
- Activity level
- Average (hiking, biking and more)
Included in price
- Transportation per jeep.
- Program according to description.
- Professional, multilingual driver/guide.
- Snorkeling equipment.
Not included in price
- Other refreshments.
- Optional activities that are not described in the program.
- In case of cancellation up to 48 hours before the departure time of the excursion, a penalty of 10% of the excursion fare will be charged.
- Regarding cancellations made between 48 and 24 hours before the departure time of the excursion, a penalty of 50% of the excursion fare will be applied.
- Cancellations reported within 24 hours before the departure time and No-Show (no presentation at departure time), a penalty of 100% of the excursion fare will be applied.
*Remark: booking fees and credit card surcharges cannot be refunded in case of cancellation.
- A professional driver, and your guide at the same time, will drive the jeep.
- The 4x4 jeeps - BAIC BJ40 - are insured and can accommodate up to 3 passengers and the driver/guide.
- Snorkel equipment is included and available at both spots. Needless to say that if you have brought your own equipment from home, it´s preferable to take it with you on this trip. Luggage can be stored without any problem in the trunk of the jeep.
- Do not forget to bring a towel and sun protection, together with swimwear obviously. In the ¨wet season¨ (May until September/October) insect repellent can be useful.
- Published ¨Prices From¨ are based on the participation of two persons. When sharing the jeep with three passengers, reductions will apply.
- Children are welcome on this tour, only child discount is not applicable, for which they have to be booked as adults. Children do count as an additional person sharing the jeep, resulting in a similar discount.
- Printed voucher, sent by Cuba Travel Network after having completed booking and payment procedure.
- It is recommended to carry a photocopy of your passport with you.