Mountain Safari to Guanayara Park - hiking tour
The short distance from Trinidad to the mountain village, Topes de Collantes (approximately 18 km) is generally taken by a Russian truck. The high and tropical temperatures will remain in Trinidad and at 800 meters above sea level, a delicious and fresh climate dominates which is ideal for practicing outdoor activities.+ Read more
First, there will be an explanation about the area and its remarkable history and ecotourism. The nearby Casa del Café serves delicious coffee - after all the area is famous for its excellent coffee production.
Guanayara Park is situated at approximately 15 kilometers from Topes de Collantes and features various hiking trails. Russian army trucks or jeeps (4x4) take you there in about 45 minutes. The trail, ‘Centinelas the Río Melodioso,’ is approximately 5000 meters long and takes about 3:30 hours. The River Melodios has a special shape with impressive cascades and ponds, and the area is home to a rich endemic flora and fauna. More adventurous and experienced hikers can cross the river to Poza del Venado, to swim in the natural pool.
After alternating climbing, but mostly descending, and after having bridged rivers and defying waterfalls, you walk straight (usually with an enriched appetite) to the backyard of La Casa de la Gallega, a former farm, now a country restaurant, surrounded by a beautiful garden. Long tables are set, on which homemade chicken will be served.
The hike is of average difficulty and is generally accessible by all ages, including small children and the elderly, provided that you have a normal physical condition. Participants who are unable to hike (e.g. due to medical problems), can settle with a book in the garden of the restaurant until the hikers return for lunch together.
Availability and Prices
- Departure/Starting Time
- Departure location
- Group excursion
- English, Spanish
- In case of cancellation up to 48 hours before the departure time of the excursion, a penalty of 10% of the excursion fare will be charged.
- Regarding cancellations made between 48 and 24 hours before the departure time of the excursion, a penalty of 50% of the excursion fare will be applied.
- Cancellations reported within 24 hours before the departure time and No-Show (no presentation at departure time), a penalty of 100% of the excursion fare will be applied.
Remark: booking fees and credit card surcharges cannot be refunded in case of cancellation
Pick-up schedule and Itinerary
Daily from 09.30am
- The Russian truck leaves from Cubatur´s office (Calle Antonio Maceo [Gutierrez] esq. Fco. Javier Zerquera [Rosario]). Please be present before 09.30am.
- Pack warmer clothes (sweater or jacket) as the temperature in the mountains will be cooler.
- Hiking boots are not really necessary; however sturdy footwear with grip (such as sneakers) is recommended, especially when one has to move over slippery river stones (pack a pair of dry shoes or flip-flops).
- It is advisable to put on swimwear under your shirt and shorts and to wear appropriate clothing for the trek.
- Temporary rainfall can affect the water of the river, making it more turbid, as well as making the trail more slippery, but still doable.
- A good physical fitness is required to participate in the hiking portion of this excursion.
- Printed voucher, sent by Cuba Travel Network after having completed booking and payment procedure.
- It is recommended to carry a photocopy of your passport with you.
We are here to help
Hola! Are you interested in a tailor-made tour to Cuba? Don't hesitate to contact us.Get in touch with us
Why book with Cuba Travel Network
- We’re 30 Cuban professionals with international standards of service.
- Each year we help more than 50,000 travelers from over 150 countries.
- Largest network of trusted Cuba partners to get you where others can't.
- Tailor made experts – any itinerary is possible with any budget. We’ll most definitely meet your travel expectations.