Big-Game Fishing, Varadero
Ernest Hemingway knew it and now you can too: Cuba has superlative fishing conditions and is the perfect place to feed your passion for the sport.
The deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico and the Straits of Florida favor fish distribution and migration, making Varadero a Caribbean fishing spot. Varadero’s fertile fishing grounds are located north of the Hicacos Peninsula.
Daily boats depart from the Marina Gaviota and cover approximately 10 miles, with a maximum of 3 miles offshore. Year-round conditions are generally good, though occasional winter cold fronts can adversely affect fishing forays. Prices are per yacht, with a maximum of 4 participants; big game fishing equipment (for two persons) is provided. Open bar and a snack are included, as well as the transfer from and to your hotel.
(For additional hours and participants, see Remarks).
Main species by season:
Barracuda: All year.
Wahoo and Dorado: January to April.
Tuna and Yellowtail: March and April.
Red Snapper: May and June.
King Mackerel: May, June, July and September.
White Marlin: May, June, July, September, October and November.
Sailfish: October and November.
Blue Marlin: May, June and September.
Dorado and Tuna: October and November.
Availability and prices
- Departure/Starting Time
- Private tour: 07:20 - Daily
- Departure location
- Departure from hotels in Varadero
- Private Excursion
- English, Spanish
- Activity level
- Average (hiking, biking and more)
Included in price
- Transfer (seat-in-bus) from and to hotel.
- Open bar and snack.
- Big game fish equipment for two participants per boat.
- In case of cancellation up to 48 hours before the departure time of the excursion, a penalty of 10% of the excursion fare will be charged.
- Regarding cancellations made between 48 and 24 hours before the departure time of the excursion, a penalty of 50% of the excursion fare will be applied.
- Cancellations reported within 24 hours before the departure time and No-Show (no presentation at departure time), a penalty of 100% of the excursion fare will be applied.
*Remark: booking fees and credit card surcharges cannot be refunded in case of cancellation.
Pick-up schedule and Itinerary
Zone A: Departure from hotel, or hotels located between:
07.20am - Playa Caleta - Bella Costa
Zone B: Departure from hotel, or hotels located between:
07.20am - Meliá las Américas - Cayo Libertad
The exact pick-up time depends on the location of your hotel along the route. To avoid an unnecessary wait, please check the schedule below which indicates pick-up times from specific hotels. If your hotel is located in between the ones mentioned, you will be collected within that time window. Please be ready in the lobby at the indicated time and in possession of your printed voucher. The guide of the operator in question will identify him/herself in the lobby. If in doubt, do not hesitate to contact our representatives; you’ll find their telephone numbers on the voucher.
- Quoted prices are per boat (5 hours). One boat can accommodate up to 4 participants. In case your travel party consists of 1 to 4 participants, you can share one boat, 5 to 8 participants will occupy 2 vessels (big game fishing equipment disposable for two persons per boat).
- You can also request for an additional person per boat (upward from participant 4): CUC 35.00, or request an additional hour: CUC 60.00. Interested? Please contact us.
- At this time, the Cuban authorities will not permit any person of Cuban citizenship, regardless of dual nationality or country of residence, from embarking or disembarking at any Cuban port, without official permission.
- Printed voucher (with pick-up schedule), sent by Cuba Travel Network after having completed booking and payment procedure.
- It is recommended to carry a photocopy of your passport with you.