Soroa: Orchids and Waterfalls
Soroa is located within the Sierra del Rosario, which has been declared a Biosphere Reserve. The combination of altitude and lush vegetation makes this place cooler than other areas of the island. The Salto de Soroa (Soroa Waterfall) and the Salto Los Manantiales (Los Manatiales Waterfall) form low, crystalline pools in which visitors can swim. Although Soroa is essentially a tourist resort, it still preserves the simplicity of a rural environment. As it is relatively close to Havana, many people go to Soroa on a daytrip from the capital, returning later in the evening. In recent years there are a growing number of private restaurants in the surrounding area, which means many new flavors to try.
Not to miss
- One of the first things you have to do is visit the famous orchid. This specialized botanical garden has a collection of 20,000 specimens and more than 350 species of these flowers, some Cuban and others from Asia and Latin America.
- Save time to walk the trails and sign up for excursions, for example, those that lead to the ruins of the old French coffee plantations La Merced, Independencia, and La Esperanza.
- Some prefer horseback riding and cycling; however, the terrain is quite steep. A few kilometers away is the community of Las Terrazas , recognized for the harmony between its inhabitants and the environment.
- Soroa is a highly recommended destination for bird watching. Its territory belonged to the province of Pinar del Río until 2010, when it became part of Artemisa.
- The Castle in the Clouds is just that: a medieval style construction on the top of a hill. For some years it functioned as a restaurant, and in 2016 it reopened as a charming boutique hotel with just six rooms. It doesn’t matter if you choose to stay there: it's worth climbing to the top and contemplating a view that will leave you speechless. Drinking a cocktail or a Cuban coffee on the veranda terrace is an incomparable experience.
Located 90 kilometers from Havana, it is almost the same distance from the capital as from Pinar del Río, the closest province. Palma Rubia, the last point on land that offers access to the ferry to Cayo Levisa, is 70 kilometers away. The best option if traveling by land is by the National Highway. The José Martí International Airport is 88 kilometers away in the capital.
Get inspired for a visit to Soroa
Map of Soroa
We are here to help
Hola! Are you interested in a tailor-made tour to Cuba? Don't hesitate to contact us.Get in touch with us
Why book with Cuba Travel Network
- We’re 30 Cuban professionals with international standards of service.
- Each year we help more than 50,000 travelers from over 150 countries.
- Largest network of trusted Cuba partners to get you where others can't.
- Tailor made experts – any itinerary is possible with any budget. We’ll most definitely meet your travel expectations.